Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Bathroom. Hole.

So we've known for a while that this was coming. There have been pleas and beggings and all kinds of pitiful crying from our knees to get some particular repairs completed in our home.

I have a little vanity I've created in my bathroom.


Our house is kind of old, so it doesn't come with like, oh, real closets or drawers in the bathrooms and things like that. I'm not sure how people didn't have drawers in their bathrooms, but we don't. Anyway, I have come up with a few little creative things to meet my needs. So I sit in the bathroom and get ready for work in the morning, or where ever I may be going. And, in proper design style, the bathrooms are stacked on top of each other. It makes sense, and if you think about where plumbing is in most houses, you'll notice that for the most part, everything is one on top of the other. It's more cost-effective that way, not only for the incoming pipes with clean water, but also the outgoing pipes, since they have specific design to work with gravity.

Occasionally someone will be taking a shower in the upstairs bathroom while I am getting ready for my day. No big deal. I don't complain to much as long as it's not while I'm in the shower and we're having to share the hot water. Our house doesn't like to share very much. Until now.

Occasionally, while sitting there getting ready, I will hear a little "plop plop" on the ceiling above me. This is rather curious because there is a bathroom above me. But I'm not hearing someone drop something on the bathroom floor. No, I'm hearing it on my ceiling. We determined at least a year ago that the upstairs shower is not sealed correctly and water gets inside and drips onto my ceiling. We have pleaded with the management company to fix the problem. We have explained the situation. They sent some incompetent people out to re-caulk our showers.

Re-caulking the showers is a 4-step process.
1. Scrape out old caulking
2. de-goo residual old caulking
3. bleach out caulked area to eliminate any mold and other crap
4. apply new caulking

Not tough, right? A little googling will instruct you easily in the correct process. Not hard, but a little time consuming. The last time we asked for it to be done, the guys were in and out in 30 minutes. Obviously they didn't do the job, because it would take longer than that to do two showers and around 3 toilets. We called the management company and told them as much. They refused to make the repairmen come back and do the job correctly.

That's the preface.

Last night I went in the bathroom to wash my face. Joy was in the shower upstairs. I heard a plinky-plink on the ceiling. I look up and see a drippy-drip. That's happened before, so I go look at it. I touch the drippy-drip. My finger goes right through the layer of paint which was all that was remaining and up into the under-shower cavity upstairs. Yes, my friends. I have a hole in my bathroom ceiling.



The drywall is completely rotted away.


The little bit of the wood that you can see is black, covered in rot, and is not an entire solid piece of wood.



My dear friends, if I don't show up to something, please come look in my bathroom. I may have been smothered under the shower falling through the ceiling. Do you see the close proximity of the hole being at the edge of my vanity? The upstairs bath goes from the hole in the ceiling to the back wall. I'm estimating that the hole is about the centered left/right at the front of the upstairs shower. Save me!!! Save me!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

Sydney said...

SWEET!!! I'm so excited! Nice story. I know what you mean though... old houses are slowly sinking or falling apart and hopefully we can catch it in time before all goes down! hahaha!